Africa's Lions: Growth Traps & Opportunities in 6 African Economies
Understanding the African Lions: Growth Traps and Opportunities in Six African Economies
The "African Lions" research project examined the economic growth and development experiences of six key fast-growing or economically dominant African countries, to better understand the relationship between economic growth and employment outcomes at the detailed country level.
Full vidoe of the 2016 Book Launch event hosted by Brookings in Washington D.C.:
Project Outputs: Six country papers have been collated into a series of WIDER and Brookings working papers in 2015/6, and an edited book was published by Brookings Press in 2016.
2. Bhorat, H., K. Naidoo, M. Oosthuizen and K. Pillay (2015). Demographic, employment, and wage trends in South Africa"2015/141. Helsinki: UNU-WIDER. (Also a June 2016 Brookings Working Paper)
3. Aryeetey, E. and W. Baah-Boateng (2015). ‘Understanding Ghana’s Growth Success Story And Job Creation Challenges’. 2015/140. Helsinki: UNU-WIDER. (Also a June 2016 Brookings Working Paper)
4. Kimenyi, M.S., F.M. Mwega and N.S. Ndung'u (2015). ‘The African Lions: Kenya Country Case Study’. 2015/134. Helsinki: UNU-WIDER. (Also a May 2016 Brookings Working Paper)
5. Ajakaiye, O., A.T. Jerome, D. Nabena and O.A. Alaba (2015). ‘Understanding The Relationship Between Growth And Employment In Nigeria’. 2015/124. Helsinki: UNU-WIDER. (Also a May 2016 Brookings Working Paper)
6. Jones, S. and F. Tarp (2015). ‘Understanding Mozambique’S Growth Experience Through An Employment Lens’. WIDER Working Paper 2015/109. Helsinki: UNU-WIDER. (Also an April 2016 Brookings Working Paper)
UNU-WIDER Research Brief: Demographic, employment, and wage trends in South Africa
Brookings Blogs: Trends in Ethiopia’s dynamic labor market - 17 August 2016; African Lions: A ‘new elite’ in the South African labor market? - 29 June 2016; African Lions: Ghana’s job creation successes and obstacles - 7 June 2016; African Lions: Tapping the potential of Kenya’s economic growth - 16 May 2016; Nigeria’s jobless growth - 5 May 2016; Unpacking labor trends and growth in Mozambique - 25 April 2016.
Interview with Haroon Bhorat: Growth and transformation in African economies