Expertise: Regulatory Economics, Applied BEE, Small Business Development and Education
Arabo has a Master of Commerce in Economics Degree from the University of Witwatersrand. Her research interests include Regulatory Economics, Applied BEE, Small Business Development and Education. Prior to joining the DPRU as senior researcher in November 2015, she was a consultant for Simanye for two and a half years, responsible for the development of creative, strategic, and cross-sector solutions around economic development, corporate social responsibility and sustainability. From 2010 until 2013, she was an analyst at Genesis Analytics, where she drafted sectoral and industry reports highlighting different theoretical positions, economic issues and policies. She also collected, evaluated and analysed statistics and quantitative economic information obtained from various databases and pertaining to diverse sectors/industries and economic issues.
Latest Research & published papers:
- Cost Restructuring For Improved Domestic and Foreign Competitiveness: Opportunities and Options, Co-authored with Haroon Bhorat & Kirsten Nel, Ongoing.
- Social Protection and Inequality in Africa: Exploring the Interactions, November 2015.
- Zambia Human Development Report 2014, DPRU team.
- Developing asset driven models to enhance entrepreneurship and business growth: ABCD and Microfranchising. Presented at the 4th Annual Soweto Conference organised by the University of Johannesburg’s Centre for Small Business Development on the 29th and 30th October 2013. Co-authored with Lana Lovasic.
- Weighing up the effect of current electricity pricing and additional environmental regulation on household electricity expenditure. Presented at the NERSA Economic Regulators Conference on the 21st and 22nd of August 2012. Co-authored with Aalia Cassim and Thembalethu Sithebe.