Senior Research Officer
Expertise: International trade (export patterns and dynamics), Economic development, and Complexity economics.
Francois has a PhD from the University of Cape Town, that was focused on South African export patterns and the developmental implications of these export patterns. He also holds a Masters degree in Economics from the University of KwaZulu Natal. He has also spent time working as a lecturer at the UCT School of Economics where he taught international trade and macroeconomics. His research interests include the dynamics and patterns of trade, international economics, labour economics, economic development, structural transformation, and economic complexity.
Recent BOOK CHAPTERS
- Bhorat, H., Lilenstein, K., Oosthuizen, M., Steenkamp, F. and Thornton, A. Forthcoming. Structural transformation, inequality, and inclusive growth in South Africa. In The Developer’s Dilemma: Structural Transformation, Inequality Dynamics and Inclusive Growth. A. Alisjahbana, K. Kim, K. Sen, A. Sumner and A.A. Yusuf., Eds. Oxford University Press: Oxford (England).
- Bhorat, H., Kanbur, R., Rooney, C. and Steenkamp, F. 2019. Sub-Saharan Africa’s Manufacturing Sector: Building Complexity. In The Quality of Growth in Africa. R. Kanbur, A. Noman and J.E. Stiglitz. Eds. Columbia University Press.
- Bhorat, H., Lilenstein, K. and Steenkamp, F. 2019. Labour market policy responses amid globalisation: The case of South Africa. In Making Globalisation More Inclusive: Lessons from Experience with Adjustment Policies. M. Bacchetta., E. Millet and J. Monteiro. Eds. Chapter 7, pp.163-182. World Trade Organisation: Geneva, Switzerland.
Recent WORKING PAPERS
- Allen Whitehead, C., Bhorat, H., Hill, R., Köhler, T. and Steenkamp, F. 2021. The potential employment implications of the fourth industrial revolution technologies: The case of the manufacturing, engineering and relates services sector. DPRU Working Paper 202106. Development Policy Research Unit: Cape Town.
- Bhorat, A., Köhler, T., Oosthuizen, M., Stanwix, B., Steenkamp, F. and Thornton, A. 2020. The economics of Covid-19 in South Africa: Early impressions. DPRU Working Paper 202004. Development Policy Research Unit: Cape Town.